What Is Vestibular Physiotherapy?
The vestibular system helps the body with balance and coordination. Located in the inner ear the vestibular receptors detect movement such as linear motion, rotation and head tilts and send these neural signals to the brain.
An injury or disruption to this system can lead to vertigo, unbalance, loss of independence, dizziness and other variety of symptoms.
What causes vestibular disorders
Environmental and hereditary factors can cause vestibular disorders. The most common are:
- Head injury
- Poor circulation in the inner ears
What are some common symptoms of vestibular balance disorders.
- Vertigo (feelings of spinning)
- Blurred vision
- Feeling off-balance
- Frequent falling or stumbling
- Brain fog or memory issues
If you have one or more of the symptoms above then an initial medical evaluation would be recommended to determine if they are a result of vestibular disorders. An assessment includes but is not limited to:
- Balance testing
- Visual oculomotor testing
- Gait assessment ( walking test )
- Neurological testing (reflex test)
- Cervical assessment (test of neck joints and muscle)
Our specialist will conduct the test and relay the results and recommendations.
Expected recovery outcomes from our vestibular rehabilition include:
- Decreased dizziness symptoms
- Decreased nausea or vomiting
- Improved balance in standing or sitting
- Improved neck mobility, stiffness and/or pain
- Better Sleep
- More Confidence
- Return to regular activities and hobbies.
What Can I expect With My Treatment?
Vestibular rehabilitation therapy (VRT) is widely recommended to help with day to day vestibular balance disorders. Our rehabilitation specialists at Tamarack Physiotherapy will help you cope with your symptoms and offer treatments including:
- Manual Therapy
- Balance exercises
- Head and Eye movement exercises
It is also critical that you reorganize your home and make certain lifestyle changes to prevent injury from falling. These could include:
- Going up and down the stairs
- Making your home safer (hand rails on stairs, non-slip bathroom floor mats, etc.)
- Clothing changes (i.e.. low heeled shoes)
Tamarack Physiotherapy in Edmonton specializes in vestibular rehabilitation. If you are unsure whether vestibular rehabilitation is the right option for you, please don’t hesitate to contact us or call us for a quick consultation. We can provide next steps and expert advice on treatment options.
Recover Faster And Get Back in Action
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger. We will help you get off the sidelines and back to what you love doing best. Our wide range of services will ensure you get the best treatment in Edmonton.
Our PhysioTherapy Services
Tamarack Physiotherapy & Massage in southeast Edmonton is excited to offer the following specialized services in its community